Saturday, August 4, 2007

Weird Party Art


8x10
Glow-in-the-dark Paint on Aluminum Foil
1979

I saw a painting of these creatures in a science fiction magazine. My parents decided to have a Sci-Fi themed costume party, for which my dad obtained a black light. These two paintings were part of the wall art for my parents’ party cellar (which also had a bar and a dance floor). I drew an 8x10 pencil sketch from the magazine picture, laid it on top of a sheet of aluminum foil, and traced the outlines, which created grooves in the foil. Then I simply painted the areas I wanted to glow in the dark. I liked the idea of these aliens looking scared as they gazed upon the dance floor with a bunch of middle-aged Germans flapping their elbows and twitching their tuckuses and gyrating their hips to the day’s top hits. (A frightening sight, to be sure!)

No comments: