
Watercolor on Paper
1978
Source: Live models.
In 10th grade, one of the mediums we explored in art class was watercolors. I can't say that I liked watercolor much, except for this one exercise. We had three minutes for each sketch, done from a live model (students from our class). My first sketch was horrible, so I didn't save it, but number 2 (on the left) and number 3 turned out. I was really pleased with the sketch of the girl -- until my teacher, Mrs. Dzaebel, happened to walk by and just yanked it off my desk, lifted it up to show the class and exclaimed: "This is what it's supposed to look like!" While I watched in horror as the wet paint dripped down the paper and ruined my theretofore perfect sketch. I don't think I ever really forgave Mrs. Dzaebel for ruining the little painting, even though I got an A. Anyway, it's a great exercise for learning to see the essentials and being "loose" in your approach.
No comments:
Post a Comment